Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 1 of the Love Language Experiment

In yesterday's blog I talked about the 5 Love Languages and how I couldn't figure out my hubby's language...(he likes to sleep a lot, it's a defense mechanism to avoid confrontation, stress, me, life...)
In the morning, the kids and I left for a friend's hockey game at 11 a.m. Bren needed to go to work for a couple of hours, so the night before I had suggested that he go while we were gone so we could all end up back home around the same time. We needed to go shopping for a suit for him. I made sure that as we were leaving, I woke him up and let him know that we'd be back home no later than 2. I communicated with him once during the day to find out when he'd be home, so I could plan dinner around our shopping trip. He told me he'd be there til 3 and would come straight home...in the past this has been more suggestive than concrete, but I was trusting in his word, without too much hope or expectation. He got home around 4 (pretty good, I was impressed), I set the kids up with something easy for dinner so Riv could fix something for them quickly and we were off. When we left, he said he thought we could go to the all you can eat sushi bar we'd been talking about going to for a couple of weeks. We ended up going to 5 different stores and ended up back at the first one to find this suit (he's in an informal ceremonial vow renewal on Monday). We had a blast! If I got annoyed by anything he said or did, I kept it to myself, I allowed myself to enjoy his quirky humor and even laughed when he joked about farts and poop (usually I roll my eyes and sigh). I really did enjoy myself so much more than I have in a long time. We went to the sushi bar (I gorged myself a little too much, but it was worth it). I even bought me a couple of cute things and some books for schooling without a begrudging growl. We went to the local Blockbuster and rented a movie I'd recently seen that I thought he'd enjoy and went home to watch...I fell asleep 2 seconds in, but I think he enjoyed it.
Tonight's plan: both kids will be gone and I'm making a special dinner in a special outfit and a few other acts of service...I'll spare the details on that blog...
...and Monday's plan...words of affirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment